Tuesday, October 27

A salty rant

Disclaimer first: I don't feel like watching my mouth for this one. If salty language offends you, insert your own words or just skip reading this one.

I usually walk to the elementary school to pick up Miss Hurricane after school. (Mister Twister rides the bus and walks home from his bus stop with no problems.) I take the same route, half a mile each way, every school day that I don't have the car or don't feel like driving. Most people know when kids are in school - Monday through Friday, August through May around here. Breaks are advertised on the news, and most people know when those breaks are anyway - major holidays and such. This is common knowledge for people once they've been driving for more than a year of their life. Right?
Apparently someone didn't get that memo. Another thing most, if not all, drivers are taught *before* the acquisition of an operator's license, is that pedestrians have the right-of-way. Especially when said pedestrian is already *in* the crosswalk, and whether a crossing guard is present or not. (Note: the crosswalk this happened in today usually does have a guard before and after school, but he wasn't there yet.)

You can probably see where this is going. If you want to skip the language, I wasn't hurt in any way, but I am super annoyed. So much so that I made a point to get the license plate number of the offending vehicle as I stared at him/her while s/he (probably a damn woman, though) drove on his/her merry way.

It's raining a bit today. I was walking normally, even slowed down a bit to allow one car to go ahead before I came to the crosswalk. I do try to do this more often than not, even though I don't *have* to do this. When the first car had made her turn (I did see her, I know it was a woman - lol) I stepped into the crosswalk even before she was completely through it. I knew I'd make it across with nearly no wait time for the next car. Instead, this bitch/douchebag decided to tear through the intersection, and as my foot hit the sidewalk on the other side of the street - where I was going and wouldn't have been holding anyone up - this dipshit honked at me and seemingly made a point to ensure I knew that I'd angered him/her. Why? Who knows. There are enough pretentious fuckheads around here that it could be anything.
So, since this fuckhead honked at me, I turned to see the driver. Couldn't though, since the car was driving away quickly. Since I was using my own umbrella and had another in my other hand, I couldn't properly salute this idiot with my favorite finger. But I did see most of the license plate, and will be talking to the crossing guard tomorrow on my way to the school. He's a retired policeman and can 'have a word' should he see this car again. Nothing like a friendly reminder!

To the driver: fuck you, get over yourself. Take a trafic class, you obivously need a reminder on the rules of driving. Running late? Leave earlier. Having an emergency? Get thee inside an ambulance instead of driving yourself. Ready to get home at the end of a long day? Aren't we all! Unbunch your panties. Trying to get a visit from me to tell you these things to your face? Honk again, douchebag.

/salty rant

To everyone else: remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way in a crosswalk. In some cities a pedestrian has the right-of-way everywhere. You are no more important than me, and I am no more important than you. Don't be an asshole; what you give is what you get.

Happy Tuesday. May the rest of the week be better than this!

~Amphitrite

No comments: